Sunday, June 13, 2010

Geek Love

Katherine Dunn wrote -- 21 years ago it turns out -- one of my favorite books: Geek Love.  Whenever my long time Book Club starts reminiscing about what books we have loved, this one pops up.  She promised another book when Geek Love came out but nothing ever materialized.  Now, it appears, from a NY Times Blog she has a story in the new Paris Review called Rhonda Discovers Art.  I am not a big reader of the Paris Review, but this one has my name on it.

I am thinking that I am also reading a lot more lately, being in 2 book clubs is part of the cause but also there does seem to be a lot that I want to read.  My long time Book Club read Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and when it came to an end I actually flipped right back to the beginning and started it again .  I felt like I needed to figure out ALL the connections.

It is a strange and wonderful book, and in my mind, worthy of every single prize it has won.  I found that if I put it down and wandered away for a day or so I found myself wondering "what is going on with Thomas Cromwell?"  Almost as if it were reality TV from the 1500's.  Pretty amazing, I thought.

I was also delighted to hear that she is at work on a sequel but distressed to find that Wolf Hall took her 15 years to write.  Really?  I have to wait 15 YEARS?????  Sigh.


No comments: