Friday, July 2, 2010

Beryl Bainbridge



Beryl Bainbridge died today, and it made me remember Master Georgie .  I loved that book and had not read anything else by her, though when I finished it, I intended to go out and read more.  Something must have intervened, so now I am going to add her to the list of things to download to my new Kindle.

Yes, I succumbed to the reduced price.  I had credits, so it was about half the reduced price and I bought it a cute little red jacket M-Edge Latitude Kindle Jacket (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle), Red w/ Black while I was spending money.  I think everything should be clothed whenever possible, right?

I am trying to be careful in what I rush out and download.  I am still considering Byatt's Children's Book,   and I guess I will now take a tour through Bainbridge's oeuvre to see what else appeals.  Oh dear, am I going to turn this summer into an homage to UK writing?  The local book club is reading Colm Toibin's The Master, and I am more than halfway through.  I like it, don't LURVE it yet. Remains to be seen, I guess.  

But NOTHING is going to beat out Wolf Hall  for me .... at least not for a loooonnngggng time.  Anyone who knows Hilary Mantel please tell her to get going and finish the sequel because I am going thru withdrawal symptoms. I know that ALL of my reader(s) have a direct link to her, right?

1 comment:

Gill said...

Hang in there for The Childrens Book might just find its way to you in about a week's time - if you can bear to go "low tech", that is, now you've gone all modern!