Monday, July 28, 2014

Words

I'm spending a lot of time lately thinking about how words and imagery relate...

Words.

They are very important to me, but not as individual "things". They are important as they relate to each other, bounce off each other, interact and modify each other.  A well constructed sentence is a thing of beauty and a well constructed paragraph will stop me in my tracks.  A paragraph that I read more than once, a page that I copy or notice for itself, that is why I read.  It doesn't matter so much what it is ABOUT.. see the picture below.. but how it tells what it is about and on how many levels it conveys its intent.

I tore this out of the New York Times a while ago and it has been kicking around in my "things I don't know what to do with yet" assortment.

If you can't read it, it says:
"An adult alligator, which can easily weigh 500 pounds or more, has a brain that can fit comfortably in a teaspoon.  When alligators do something, which is not often and usually involves seizing and dismembering food, thinking does not much enter into it."

I don't even have a clue what article this was in, I don't know who wrote it, I only know that when I read it I instantly tore it out of the paper and kept it.

Words, sentences, paragraphs.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought of words in that way.... but now I agree with you.
Thanks Jordi.
Dorothy