Thursday, June 11, 2009

I've been reading different stuff

My 'mystical' side is running amok lately, but these two books have me captivated...

The first is Breakfast at the Victory by James Carse. I started it years ago, sort of drifted off without finishing it, and stuffed it into the bookcase for future reference. I accidentally uncovered it when I was trying to "organize" some portions of the monster bookcase in the studio. I was pulling all the Zen-ish books into one pile and Breakfast just fell into my hands. I am LOVING it so much that I don't want it to end. I want James Carse to move into my house and talk to me for a while. Do you think he would? He lives in New York. Maybe I could move in with him???? Oh well, I suppose someone would object so I will have to make do by saying that if you want interesting ideas written about in a way that makes you think non-stop after you put the book down.... folks, this is it. I can't quite get why the last time it didn't have the same effect, but as a friend used to say ..."Horses for courses."

Then there is Life is a Verb by Patti Digh. This one comes with "exercises" about living life more awake. I KNOW how that sounds, and all I can tell you is that Digh is a good writer who makes the ideas she presents compelling and the exercises are interesting. I have not done many of them yet. However, as anyone who knows me well knows, I have been doing the Artist Way morning pages for years and I am using some of the ideas Digh presents as jumping off spaces for the Morning Pages.

No, I haven't gone all airy-fairy on y'all. I just am really enjoying the new studio and suddenly I have a place to sit and read and think and I am loving doing it.

Anyone else read either of these? Commentary anyone? Just to show I am still running in the real world. Just LOOK at that smile.

1 comment:

Gill said...

I'm intrigued by these suggestions and as I'm feeling overwhelmed right now, with a pile of books by my side and somehow no will to read them (but plenty of good intentions) I think it's time to slow down, maybe stop for a little while adn take time to read and think a little more.

Next week, we're in northern Sweden, where the weather forecast is terrible and where snow is predicted for Wednesday night. Maybe that's a good opportunity?