Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Before and after .. Or .. Why we are going to bed early tonight


This is the girl, who knew someone with such pretty eyes was hiding behind all that hair!!

Actually, after 3 years, I knew it, but it is exhausting if you cut it away yourself, though she is SUCH a good girl that she sleeps through a lot of it.


This is the first time I did it myself, and since I have not bought clippers yet, I did it with scissors. Not a good idea, but once you are on your way there is really no way back.

I have no idea how many little nicks I managed to give her but she is so tolerant that even when I nick her and wake her up she just sort of stares at me and then goes back down again.

She put up with me struggling through it for about 3 hours. She looks a little ragged close up, but this was half the hair I cut off and we shall see how it looks in a couple of days. I gave her a bath and

we both lay on the couch for a while to recover. It is exhausting for both of us, and we just collapse.

Too bad I don't spin.. it looks a lot like fleece, and I saw a woman at Rhinebeck once spinning hair from her Great Pyrenees. I used to give some of it to the guy who used to live across the hall. He was a wigmaker for Broadway shows and he used the slightly curly hair to aerate mustaches. I swear! I'll hang on to it for a little bit, if someone wants to try spinning it, let me know and I will put it in an envelope and send it. I'll bet it will dye well also. It is hair, not fur, which is why she gets sheared.. otherwise it would just grow forever, I guess.

2 comments:

Dorothy Gibbs said...

Poor little fing! Hope she soon recovers. We used to have an Old English Sheepdog mnay years ago and my brother used to give him a cip so that he could see out of his eyes! gein

Clockwatcher said...

Aawwwwww!