Wednesday, July 9, 2008

the Reading List Post

I was seeing what was going on around the internest and I found that Loretta is starting up List Friday again. The list for this Friday is what you are reading this summer. I am compelled to do this because I need a summer reading list like I need a hole in my head, seeing as I have 6 bazillion books sitting around all demanding to be read at the same time. But because I like order and discipline.......not...... I do have some things I want to read so here goes:

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien - this is our book club book for September so it is first on the list.

Travels with Herodotus - Ryszard Kapuscinski -- one of my hero writers, I think I could read the phone book if he wrote it, but I haven't read this one. If you have never read him, read The Emperor or Shah of Shahs after reading either of those you will be joining me in the phone book.

Omnivore's Dilemma -- Michael Pollan -- I've read the corn section.. the first meal... and then got distracted, but I had my mouth hanging open in awe all through that chapter so back I will go.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union -- Michael Chabon -- Because I read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and didn't want it to end, and I hope this has the same effect.

And, what I would like to THINK I will read:

The Matisse Biography -- Hilary Spurling -- BOTH books. I am delusional here, but I would love to read them, so there they are.

That's the list for now. It certainly can become more fluid by August.

This, by the way, is my 101st post on this blog. It is the 191st day of the year, so that is almost a post every other day. I started on January 22nd this year, so not bad!

1 comment:

alice c said...

Hi - thanks for your comment! Congratulations on your 100th post - isn't it encouraging to look back and realise that each small post adds up to a journal of your year.

Reading? What is that? Can I do that too? I might have to go and buy the book 'Reading for Dummies' which will remind me of all the skills I have lost recently.