Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Chelsea Market

Last week it was cold enough to be an inside kind of weekend.  I hadn't been to the Chelsea Market in ages and ages, and it was still a great place to while away and afternoon.  It is now the home of the Food Network, so I guess you run the risk of seeing a celebrity or two ... we didn't .. though I would have loved to see Batalli or Flay!
The Chelsea Market is composed of 18 buildings that were once the home of the National Biscuit Company.  The first building you enter from 9th Ave was built in the 1890's.  The other buildings were added until the 1930's and included cast iron, terracotta and even Art Deco elements.  In these buildings were baked everything from Saltines to Oreos.  The history in detail is here, I am only hitting the highlights.  This is a fascinating place.   
Bread is still being baked here, and you can watch the process from the central hallway.  Amy's Bread gets made here and it is great looking..

Last but not least is the waterfall from an old pipe right in the middle of the walkway.  We ate at the Cleaver Company.  Their chicken pot pies are well worth the trip.  There is also a nice vegetable market, a fish market and Bowery Kitchen Supplies where I still didn't find a bread dough storage container, alas.
Last but not least, the cupcakes at Eleni's are half price near closing ...yum and I should have taken pictures, shouldn't I?  But I was busy eating one.....JUST ONE!
Lots of other places to visit, next time it is really cold on the weekend you will find me there again getting a lobster roll, oh my.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Gill said...

Add it to the list, Jordi!!

And you can't have Mario there because he's doing a programme here...or was. He's on our TV next week (and in the papers today) with Gwyneth Paltrow, about some pigs in Spain.

Of course.

You might be able to read the article if you google Batali and the Observer/Guardian newspaper.