Monday, February 25, 2008

shrines



An old friend visited several years and apartments ago and said that she had finally figured out what it was about my "decorating style".

She said I had filled little nooks and crannies with a series of unrelated shrines.

It took me a while to realize that she was oh so very right. Everywhere you look in my place there are little groupings of things.

Rarely are these "precious" things in the sense of cost or value, but they are all high on the Content Scale.

The Content scale requires that I can immediately call up where I acquired the component parts of the shrine, AND that there is a story related to each item. No story, no ranking on the Content Scale.

These are all pictures of my central shrine. The only one I actually CALL a shrine, though there are others around the house. It makes me smile just to look at it.

The Pinoccio from Florence is sitting on a mangifier hand made by my father back in the days he worked in the camera factory in upstate New York.

The Santa Fe Bears with the medicine bundles are tied together and carry turquoise for good luck.

I hate to dust, but I WILL rearrange.

No comments: